I promised more posts on how I’ve been getting in shape for Miss USA and today is my first guest blog post!! My personal trainer Josh Rogers from Results Fitness put this workout together for me (and now all of you!) Enjoy! I apologize for the lack of quality in these photos – I came ultra prepared with my camera… which had a dead battery, so we resorted to cell phone photos!
Do you want a ROCKING body like Miss Tennessee USA, Brenna Mader?! Well, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication, but here are four of her favorite exercises to perform in the gym. Each exercise requires very little equipment and can be performed in the comfort of your own home, in a hotel room, or outside in the park. Let’s call it…”Brenna’s Buns!!!”
1- Hamstring Rolls (Equipment–Physioball) Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, Glutes, & Lower Back
* Lie on your back with heels on the ball.
* Keep your hips up off the floor/mat.
* Roll the ball in @ a 90 degree angle and then back out to the starting position (make sure to keep your hips up off the floor/mat the entire exercise and roll the ball in/out with your heels).
* Perform 2 sets of 25-50 reps
2- Sumo/Plie’ Squat w/ Dumbbell Curl (Equipment–medium size set of dumbbells) Muscles Worked: Inner Thighs, Quadriceps, & Biceps
* Stand with your feet a little wider than hip with apart w/ your feet turned out; dumbbells will be on the inside of your legs w/ elbows locked by your side.
* Keeping your weight in your heels, squat down in a 90 degree angle (avoid leaning forward–keep your back flat and upright, and your rear-end back).
*As you return to the starting position, you will perform a bicep curl (make sure to keep your elbows locked by your side as you perform the curling exercise to isolate the biceps).
* Perform 2 sets of 20-25 reps.
3- Charlie’s Angles (Equipment–NONE) Muscles Worked: Quadriceps, Glutes, & Core
* Make an imaginary gun with your hands (yes, you read that correctly); keeping your weight in the heel of your lead leg, lunge down 90 degrees.
* Once down in the lunge position, rotate your imaginary gun (upper body) in the same direction of the lead leg (ex. if you lunge on the right leg, rotate to your right side).
* Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite leg.
* You can perform these static (stationary–not moving) or as moving/walking.
* If performing these as walking lunges, perform 2 sets of 50–100 yards; for static/stationary lunges, perform 2 sets of 15-20 reps on each leg.
4- Low Plank on Physioball (Equipment–Physioball) Muscles Worked: Core, Abdominals, & Lower Back
* Using the ball, get in a low plank position on your elbows on the ball (if you have trouble balancing, place your feet against a wall or sturdy surface).
* Make sure that your elbows are right under your shoulders and feet are hip width apart. Once in the plank position, make sure to keep your rear-end down, back flat, and core tight. Keep your chin in a neutral position.
* Hold the plank for 45-60 seconds.
If you want to make the exercise a little more challenging…try these two variations on the ball in the plank position:
1- Make 3 small circles in one direction and then reverse for 45-60 seconds.
2- Rotate your elbows forward and back (elbows are the only part of your body that moves) for 45-60 seconds.
ENJOY…Jane Fonda ain’t got nothing on “Brenna’s Buns” Workout!!!
In closing, I would just like to wish my Boo, Mader Tater, the best of luck at Miss USA!!! Brenna has been a dear friend of mine for the past five years. I know without a doubt that she would make the perfect Miss USA, take note Mr. Trump. Go get em, sister! I can’t wait to watch you rock that skimpy bikini on stage! WERK Gurl, WERK!!!
Today’s Miss USA OPTX Eyewear Fan Vote Video is brought to you by Wayne Pacelle, President and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States of America! You may remember seeing him on The Ellen Show recently advocating a ban on the Ag-gag bill here in Tennessee. As an animal lover, it was a no brainer to help out on the campaign. I am so excited about his video so without further adieu: