As an enthusiast of all things beauty, fashion, and Nashville, I’m thrilled to announce that I am combining all of those loves as one of two style and beauty contributors for Nashville’s own 12th and Broad along with the fab Carla Antonelli of Stella Shops. Look for our posts every Tuesday on www.12thandbroad.com
I’ve already had a great time working on a few posts for them and I thought it would be fun to share some of them here! Continue reading →
I have loved all things beauty since before I even knew how to spell the word exfoliate. I would spend all my allowance and babysitting money on newest lotions, potions, and any sort of new gizmo that would curl or crimp one’s hair in a new way. Over the years working as a model, TV host, makeup artist, and now as Miss Tennessee USA, I’ve found a few things that really work.
1. Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes – I’ve actually heard Dr. Oz say that within a few years EVERYONE will be taking these. Your outer beauty is quite literally a reflection of what’s going on inside of you. Some of the benefits of taking high quality plant based digestive enzymes and probiotics include:
healthier hair, skin, and nails
a better immune system
increased energy levels
increased fat metabolism
I also credit these to helping me maintain my weight
These are only some of the benefits of including these in your diet – expect a post solely devoted to more detail about this subject. My favorite products are the Core Health Pack and Heart Health by Core Health Products (www.corehealthproducts.com)
2. A good eyelash curler heated with a blow dryer – My friends who know me best know I’ve been utilizing this trick since the 7th grade! Heating up the curler for 5-10 seconds with a hair dryer (be careful not to burn yourself) will make the curl more effective and last longer. It instantly makes you look more awake and enlarges your eyes (aka THE WINDOW TO YOUR SOUL PEOPLE!!) I like the shu uemura ($20) or the e.l.f. ($1) eyelash curler best.
3. The at-home facial – sometimes going to the spa just isn’t an option. For those times, I like to do what I call the at home facial. You’ll need a large bowl, a towel, and green tea. Here’s how it works: Boil water and drop in a green tea bag. Pour the tea in a large bowl and put your head and towel over the bowl so as not to let the steam escape. Stay here for as long as you can take the heat, slowly breathing in the steam (it’s good for you, feel those pores opening!) Afterwards, finish with a toner and moisturizer and you will be surprised how much better your skin will look and feel.
Many a roommate has walked in on me in my kitchen (see above photo pulled from Facebook as proof from 2009 – thanks Megan!) standing next to the stove, head under towel, behind in the air, and asked “What are you DOING?!” I wouldn’t subject myself to that kind of embarrassment if it wasn’t worth it, TRUST ME!
4. Drinking a daily green smoothie – I’m not being dramatic when I say that this smoothie has literally changed my life and the life of many of my friends and family. Even my meat loving, burly, cowboy dad drinks this every day! I got the recipe from celebrity nutritionist Kimberly Snyder’s book The Beauty Detox Solution (which I highly recommend). It is a blast of minerals, enzymes, and fiber in addition to providing lots of green energy. Since it’s blended, it is predigested (sounds gross, I know) which means that all of the nutrition is readily available without having to steal energy from your body to break it down! We all know that raw fruits and vegetables (enzymes, minerals, vitamins, micro-nutrients, etc.) are key in a healthy diet and most people living in the United States aren’t getting enough of them. This is an amazing and delicious (I swear!) way to make sure lots of these things are implemented into your diet every day.
Side note: how fab is Cameron Powell Photography that he can even make a green smoothie look glamorous?! I feel like this photo is where hipster and beauty queen meet and explode into organic eco friendly glitter and fireworks!!!
5. An olive oil/brown sugar scrub – this treatment is something that will make your whole body feel baby soft and it’s something you can do on the cheap with things that are probably in your cabinet anyway. Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil into a Tupperware container and mix in about an equal part of brown sugar. While in the shower, scrub your whole body down with this mixture, then rinse. I would be shocked if you told me your skin had ever felt more soft and smooth.